Monday, March 03, 2014

Firpo Ready To ‘Tackle The Serious Issues’

Photo by Daniel Mintz/Mad River Union

In announcing her candidacy for district attorney, senior county prosecutor Elan Firpo said she’d focus on management of prosecutors and collaborating with law enforcement to reduce serious crime. - Daniel Mintz/Mad River Union

...Saying she’s developed a “detailed plan to optimize current resources and regain the confidence of the Board of Supervisors and the community,” Firpo added that she’d manage an office that delivers “consistent and rigorous prosecution.”

During a question and answer session, Firpo was asked about the district attorney’s role in meeting the challenges of public safety realignment. Noting that she’s the only DA candidate who’s worked as a prosecutor since realignment was launched, Firpo said it has “changed the face of the way we need to prosecute crimes in our county.”

Realigned offenders once sent to prison are now incarcerated in county jail or given “split sentences” of jail and post-release supervision. Firpo said she’d work with the probation department and community groups on dealing with issues that lead to criminal activity....

Firpo’s handling of cases has already become a campaign issue. The involuntary manslaughter plea deal in a highly-publicized fatal stabbing in Arcata has been sharply criticized by two of her opponents, former county prosecutors Arnie Klein and Alan Dollison.

Asked about the challenging prospect of working as a prosecutor while campaigning, Firpo said, “I can scarcely understate what a challenge that is for me.” She said legal circumstances influenced the plea deal.

“I could have grandstanded that case for my political benefit, for my campaign, but I did not do that,” she continued. “I did the right thing for that case because that still is my first priority – my job as a prosecutor is my first priority, the campaign is my second priority.”

The double murder trial of Bodhi Tree will be prosecuted during the campaign and will divert her from it, she said. “But I’ve always been honored to do the job that I do – prosecuting for the DA’s Office.”
__________________


◼ For those who don't already know, the McKinleyville Press and the Arcata Eye merged to form The Mad River Union. Subscribe at the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are closed for the time-being.