Thursday, January 01, 2009

Wordpress v Blogger

For those who are interested - here's a side by side comparison
The Ultimate Blogger Wordpress Comparison Guide.

I'd note that Blogger has recently added future publishing (use it all the time), comments notification, and import posts.

Maybe it is like the Mac/PC thing, but I like Blogger alot better. Much more user friendly, I feel like I have a lot more flexibility...

But besides what is noted in the link above - Wordpress has a couple of advantages - the most useful is that each comment comes to you with the IP address, email address and optional url attached, so you know exactly who made each comment, don't have to guess and extrapolate using counters and visitor paths. Of course the IP doesn't tell you the actual name, and the email address submitted can be phony, but it would be nice if Blogger added that someday.

In Wordpress, you can also edit comments - correct typos or take out bad language and leave the rest of the comment.

In Wordpress you can block people by IP.

And, re: spam control - I think I have only had 5 or 6 total spam comments posted by bots - and word verification puts a stop to that if it is a problem. So I really don't understand the HUGE numbers of supposedly blocked spam comments Wordpress claims (thousands and thousands).

I'm curious - since so many local bloggers have switched to Wordpress - what you think is better, what advantages you find...

1 comment:

  1. "In Wordpress, you can also edit comments - correct typos or take out bad language and leave the rest of the comment.".

    That sounds to me like the biggest advantage to Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed for the time-being.